Friday, July 2, 2010

Let the good outweigh the bad.

Today was one of those days that I am happy to see over with.

I got up and did chores and then went to check wells. Dean was supposed to stack bales (although I don't think he did) and Merle stayed around the house. I went out and checked electric wells and didn't find any trouble there. I was able to find two bulls so I guess that's better than none.

I came home by 8:45 so that I could shower and get ready for the funeral. I made it into town by 9:30 and the place was already filling up. On my way in I noticed that every haying tractor and farm equipment stood still in the field. No one was on the road, and it was quiet. In town, the streets were packed and people flowed into the Old American Legion (gym) like crazy. Lee was the first person I saw who I knew, so that turned out to be a good place to sit. We watched as the place filled up with people of all backgrounds. There were family, high school friends, rodeo friends, college friends, community memebers...and the list goes on. The service and set up were very nice. They had some great pictures and his bucking saddle and riding saddle ther as well as some other things of Connor's. The music was done by two local brothers who sing in a country band- they did a great job. The priest held a very nice service and although it was ridiculously hot, it was very well done. It's so hard to see someone as amazing and young as Connor go, but we cannot forget that this is just a step of life and he is now in a place so much more amazing than this world. God must have been short one great bull rider because he sure has one now!

I managed to beat the procession to the cemetary turn off somehow, so I waited on the other side of the cars and ended up last in line. By the time I got to the burial- the short service was already over. I actually ran into my neighbors who live across the section (atBaltic) while I was there. Ann and her daughter Haliey Sundermann. They are big into rodeo- Hailey competes and Ann works with Mary Kay as Secretary I believe. So, anyway it was odd seeing someone from home and they thought the same of me! I talked with them and a few others and then headed to the Legion where I ate and talked with Matt and Nancy some. Then, I went and dropped Matt off at Ross and Marva's and headed to the fire hall. By that time is was 1:00 and I needed to change and do some cleaning before Smokey Bear came.

If you remember me talking earlier of how I was in charge of this Smokey Bear workshop thing for kids (the one that they made me sing at last year and put me in charge of this year). So, we got the bathrooms cleaned and moved the trucks out. By one, the people from with the BIA from Pine Ridge showed up, but they went uptown to eat. They didn't coem back until a quarter until two to set up, so of course we were late getting started-but no one was real concerned. There were a few kids waiting for Smokey so we had to get him ready. Chris, the fire chief, was forced to be Smokey because he is still making fun of me for last year! As these kids are waiting, we can't get the fan to work in the head of the outfit and it's super hot outside...he insisted that it would have to work or he wouldn't do it! hahaha so after new batteries and scraping away at some corrosion, we got it going and it bascially did nothing but make annoying sounds. We put him outside on the stree corner with Jeff for a chaperone in hopes that people would come in. Later, we found some ice packs and put in a vest that he wore, but that wasn't a whole lot better...just heavier he said! lol...later on, they took him around town sitting on the bench seat on the hood of one of the brush trucks. Apparently, they went through the band drive through...can you imagine?! haha Most of the time, I just wandered around since they didn't have as many station as last year and they brought enough help.

We didn't have a very good turn out even though it was publicised. But, later we found out that Smokey had been down to the housing just a week earlier..dang! We got a few kids anyway. By, four we decided to shut down and clean up. Then, I headed home and did chores. I stcuk around and ate with merle and Adrienne and chatted while watching some tv. Then, I went to put the chickens in and was short four and couldn't find them anywhere. Merle usually does this, so I headed to the house to ask where they usually hide. On the way, I see this snake going in and out of the wall of the chicken house and he won't stay out long enough for me to get him!

So, Merle comes out and brings the spade. First off, he asks if I looked in the rafters...no. Well, there were three of the four right there! The last one we never did find... who knows. Rhonda (the tomcat) was staring at the wall where I snake was, but we couldn't get it. We beat on the wall and didn' hear any rattling so it was probably a bull snake anyway.

Then, I finally headed home. I dumped off a dead chicken from this morning in the creek (no she was not the missing one). It was a littel ripe since it should have been thrown out this morning- but none the less it's gone now. One last discovery for the day- I found a cist on my wrist. Well, it isn't really hard to find. I have a bump on the top of my left wrist that wasn't there before. I haven't bumped it that i know of, so who knows. I looked up some things and found that apparently it's common? idk, guess we'll see.

But anyway, i need some sleep. It was a long, tough day, but we all got through it. the fire deal kept me a little distracted this afternoon (which was a good thing). Connor was a cowboy to the core who showed us all the power of kindness and humility. I never had the chance to visit regularly with him, exchange cell numbers, or even become facebook friends- yet he left a lasting impression. I will never forget the times that he saved me from an obnoxious calf with his rope. Or, when I had to go get him out of the hayfield to help me move a mattress! Most recently, we sat next to each other at Marva's Memorial day dinner and had a "commom person" conversation because we sat next to "the three smartest people in the familiy" (According to Connor) and they were making us feel dumb! He will be missed sooooo much- but we have to remember that he is looking down at us from a better place.

"It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Lyric from "Three Wooden Crosses" printed on the funeral bulliten.

No comments:

Post a Comment