Saturday, July 31, 2010

Round 'Em Up

So today was the day...let's round up spayed heifers.

Mom and I got up to go down for chores and saddle up this morning. For whatever reason, she thought that I had a coffee pot on my counter the last time she was here- so she didn't bring one. Well, it must have been a figment of her imagination- so she boiled coffee on the stove! hahaha- I thought it was ridiculous and was wondering why she couldn't just drink a glass of orange juice! But, none the less, she had her coffee.

By the time I fed the chicks and got down to the corrals Dean had a lot of chores done, but buckets still needed filled, and hay needed put out. I did all that while the horses ate their oats. Then, Nicole came out and I got to talk to her a bit before we caught our horses. Once we rounded up the heard, I grabbed Bowdie since it's been a while since we've bonded and had mom ride Nelly. Adrienne, Dean, Ross, Nicole, Mom, and I loaded up our horses and got in the pickup. I left a spot for Ross in the front seat but he insisted on sitting in the bed of the pickup- so off we went. He took us out to the pasture along the creek and off we went. We all covered different corners and managed to get them about where we wanted. Right towards the end they tried running down the creek but mom was posted in a good spot and Nicole and I ran down to stop the herd and between the three of us it all worked out ok. I felt bad because mom ended up having to run all over-but she swears she enjoyed it and it wasn't that bad!

From that point we headed on home and didn't have much trouble. We had to keep them off of a couple millet fields and some round bales, but they were good for the most part. We had 152 for a count at the gate and that meant that we were right on beause we had two strays along with us and the steers that were mixed in were accounted for. When we got to the road there were of course cars coming from all directions and the obnoxious rez runner full of kids at teh front were hollering and beating on the doors at the cattle. I didn't know at the time because I was further back but if I had I would have beat on their doors as well...

We got them up the road just a ways and before we coudl put them into the next gate a few jumped the fence...annoying yearlings. But, we got the rest in the right spot and Merle headed back with his four wheeler (he had taken the trailer home and come back on four wheeler) and shut the gate and fixed the fence. We took them to the water and then headed home through the pasture.

Alll in all it wasnt' too bad for a yearling roundup. At least they are home now and we won't have to take them far to get them in the corral for Wednesday. I had a good time taking my mom along and talking to Nicole. I think Adrienne really enjoyed getting on her other horse and being out again too! We went in and unsaddled and let the horses get a roll and some much deserved oats. It wasn't as hot when we got home today but it was getting close!

Merle sent me and mom home to get Grandma and come back for dinner. So, we ran home, gathered her and some gatorade and headed back down. We were a little early so we sat around and I tried to help Adrienne with dinner. She made some super tasty roast and lots of other good stuff. I love a good meat and potatoes dinner! We helped her with the dishes and Erin had Rylee. It was so funny to see Rylee in a little jumper today. Erin dressed her and insisted that she wear something more than a onzee- it was really cute! So after dinner we all sat aroudn and talked for a bit until I broke up the party and said we should go- there were enough people around there. Ross headed home, Merle and Adrienne adn Nicole went and strung salt and looked at cattle, and Mom and Grandma and I drove around seeing the sights all afternoon. It was super nice of them to feed so many of us for dinner and fun to be around everyone too!

They wanted to stop at the quilt store in town for fabric- so we did that for quite a while. Then, decided to head south. I took them past the refuge and we drove through the Bowring Ranch that is set up for tourists but they were closed. We were able to drive through though and at least see the place- it's pretty neat. Then, we decided to go a little further into the sandhills. While doing that, I said that we may as well go to Gordon and get some of the good ice cream at the gas station..so we did! haha- ridiculous. Then, I took them home on hwy 18 to see some different scenery. There were a lot of harvesters going so that was a neat route. After getting back to town, I took them around to the east side of town and we headed down to Dicks from that direction. Inever realized how good the view was from there before because we're usually on a mission when we're headed that way. It was nice just to drive down and take pictures. They got to see what I'm always talking about when I say I go down there and they really enjoyed the drive and view I think. We finally headed back out of there and came back home as a big rain cloud headed our way. I don't think it ever rained a bit- but you never know!

We had a pretty informal supper and now I'm ready for bed. This was the first day that I've been around the area and not done chores (Besides because of other work) that I can remember! I'm a bad person!! ...pretty sure the boss man was all over it but I still have a hard time skipping!

It was nice to take an afternoon off and hang with my mom and grandma. It sounds like we are going to try to fetch our three missing bulls int he mornig. Mom says she wants to go again so I guess we're going! If I break her- she volunteered!!!

"The love of a family is life's greatest blessing."

No comments:

Post a Comment