Monday, July 12, 2010

Progress?

Progress as definied by Websters Dictionary: a forward on onward movement. I think we failed at that today...I'm unsure. Does working forward after working backwards count as progress?? I'll let you ponder that one.

I moved my little but right along this morning. For whatever reason, I did not get out of bed until 6:20 or something like that...(can't imagine bedtime had anything to do with that) so I moved right along to be on time for chores. I stood up on my four wheeler because the seat was wet, and tried to eat a pop tart all while cruising down that driveway. Normally, I would call that talented...but I didn't do it well! Once Deano and I got chores done we headed for the shed to check out what was going on. I saw a pickup up there and noticed that Ross had parked his in an odd place. After seeing that no one was at the shed I came to the conclusion that it was Delbert's pickup, he had brought chicks, and him and Merle and Ross went off to check something somewhere...turns out I'm a pretty good guesser.

Meanwhile, Dean is like beside himself because no one is there to telll us exactly what to do. He decided to go home and grab his lunch since Merle wasn't around. While he's doing that I picked up a broom and started sweeping out the shop. I knew that Roger was coming today and it's always nice to work on a semi-clean floor. Dean eventually comes back and helps me finish with the floor. Then, we went on to keep on cleaning off the work bench and I orgnized some shelves. You wouldn't belive the treasures you can find in those boxes that collect things! haha The whole time we were in the shop I was wondering if I should take off for Techs and check for cows...but I wasn't sure where the others were and if they would come back while I was gone and say they already checked. Well, as it turns out, I should have gone- but Dean got sent to check instead.

They brought me back some wheat that had a crook in the stem at teh top and the heads were curled over. It was strange because a lot of the affected heads where full grown and almost hard and cured. My first guess was a deficiency and as it turns out I may be right. I called the school to talk to some of my people in the plant science building and they said there was no disease that it really matches up with, but it may be a soil deficiency or a spraying injury. Since the wheat was never sprayed, that leaves teh deficiency. I'm still not sure what it would be defincient of and if that's 100% correct yet- I'm doing more checking tomorrow. If you think you know- please email me and do tell!!!

So, beyond the wheat I scrounged aroudn adn found a pin for the loader that I bounced out yesterday in the shop, then had Dean help me get the pickup loaded with net wrap and such for the hayfield. He took off to look for cows and I filled oil and loaded and cleaned out the pickup to get ready to go. Merle met me shorly before I was done so he finished up getting stuff ready and then stopped by and picked me up at home after I made my lunch (complete with a HAM sandwich...success). We took off for the field and new that we probably wouldn't get far before Roger (The mechanic) came. We didn't even get going and Roger was there. (That's a really good thing). Ross had him work on the O ring in the windrower and the nuetral trip first. After replacing the ring we had quite the fight with the nuetral deal. Eventually, we determined that the spring did not have enough tension on it an since it's a new part- I'm guessing they didn't put the right exact one on when they green-lighted the machine in Gordon this past winter. But, after adding a sickle section with a bolt and hooking the spring into it, we got her fixed!

Next, we headed over to Dean's tractor that I've been driving for a couple days. The front wheel assist seals are out of it so he started tearing the hubs apart and we helped pry and pull. We decided to do it in the field because it's a short process and we were able to lift the tractor high enough off the wheel with just a block under the loader bucket hookup bar. Turns out, the bottom bearings were out on BOTH front tires! Too much wear and tean I guess...so we had a lot more work than we bargained for. Roger kept on calling Charlie, the parts man and ordering more and more parts all afternoon long! After tearing both wheels entirely apart and into a gagillion pieces we found a beveled block (only one we had out there in Ross's pickup) and put it under the front axle and jacked one side up with the handyman in hopes that the tractor would stay like that.

Dean got sent off to Phillip for parts to work on that tractor later in the afternoon. We finished up taking the wheels apart and then came home for dinner. Adrienne cooked some very tasty roast and potatoes! But, it only lasted so long before we were out again. After talking to the fuel delivery guy from Phillip (him and Roger were joking that they should have carpooled!) we headed out to the next tractor that we west of Hislt rather than east this time. This would be my tractor. We figured after all the trouble we had it would be an easy fix- adn it was. The batteries didn't have much inital charge so we hooked the pickups up to them adn got them charging while Roger messed aroudn with other things. After chekcing some plugs and dinking around we noticed that an alternator cable got busted in the process. It must have been super weak adn just let go. After repariring it, everything seemed to work well again. It was that simple I guess..I think the new alternator from the other day made a pretty good dent in the problem as well. But, I was happy when I could see a tacometer and move my tractor! horray..back to a cab that doesn't smell nasty!

So, we got it going and then went down the road a little further to Bravehawks, where the farming tractor awaited us. Merle had broke off the top of a plastic valve that was designed to shut off the flow to the water filter when you change it. Well, it wouldn't be a big deal, but the o ring broke and it appeared that it was shooting fluid everywhere so Ross shut down that day adn hasn't farmed since. We ended up using an air wrench electrical taped to a drill bit to drill a hole into the plug. I can't even begin to tell you the troubles we had, but eventually, with a lot of prying and turning and threading with bolts, we got the plug out in three pieces. It took us over 2 and 1/2 hours for that 2 and1/2 inch plug. Ridiculous...but it came out and we put the new one in and started filling with coolant when I notcied some still shooting out. As it turns out, the originaly problem was that the water pump went out of the tractor. The plug wasn't the issue, but on the bright side- it would have had to been taken out eventually. Just as we discover this, I notice that the back, outside dual tire is pretty much flat. After further investigation, we found out that it blew out. Awesome. What more can go wrong. By this time, its past seven and we all need to get moving before dark, so Roger went back to Phillip and will be back tomorrow with more parts and working hands to he us to finish our long list of repairs!

Meanwhile, Dean brought parts back and left the pickup for us at the tractor we tore apart and left and then he rode home with Ross, who finished laying out the next hayfield today- super, more for us to scramble about! ..oh well, that's haying it seems. Dean went home and did chores. Merle and I stopped by my tractor and brought it over to the rake...which was still hooked on to the other tractor. We were a little creative in pulling the rake away, but we got it off that tractor and hooked back onto mine for tomorrow morning before Roger comes down. Super, I get to service a tractor all over again in the morning! haha..I"ll quit complaining.

So, we got it good to go for tomorrow and took off for home with the cutting torch and tanks and all the tools Dean brought back from Phillip. Then, I headed home.

Today was frustrating, everytime we would figure out the problem we would find another. I sure hope we get it all done tomorrow and don't have to fight anything near as much as we fought that valve pin today. Well, I'm ready for bed. I need to gear up to play mechanic tomorrow again.

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment