Friday, July 9, 2010

Round and Round

Well we didn't get as much done as planned today...but isn't that everyone's struggle with life?

I went down for chores a tad bit late this morning becaue I had to scrounge around to find enough stuff for my lunch. I'd say that I need to go grocery shopping again! Once we got chores done we headed up to the shed to line out the day's work. First, we needed to get the chisel all ready to go so Ross could start farming with it. We greased it up, checked the tires, worked on a few things with the tractor, pinned him up and sent him on his way. Dean took off for the hydraswing, which left Merle and I to put things back together. We moved some things back into the red pickup and got all stocked up and ready to go to the field. I took Ross's pickup out towards the field he was going to and helped him get it unhooked and set down, then Merle came and got me. Ross was clipping right along and that chisel was running deep so I'm guessing the tractor probably got a workout today.

So, we head down to my tractor and I start putting the alternator back on. We get it on and find out it isn't the exact model fit, but it works. The tractor started and moved but no tacometer. I was not convinced that we fixed anything anyway. I took off and got out of the haypen and went across the field. I only go about halfway when I lost all power and it stopped moving. This time, we just pulled it out of the way and decided to go and get Dean's tractor.

Meanwhile, he had headed to town to get the windrower tire fixed but had taken it off in a 'special' way. The loader was hooked to the axle with a log chain...that's all I'm going to say on that one. We found a block that we were using to hold the fuel tank in and blocked it up. Cleaned up the mess in the tractor- or at least some of it, tried to air the smell out of it, and took off. I think we caught him by surprize when he came back to no tractor...

I went up and hooked onto the rake; had a little hydraulic trouble but eventually got it going and set right. We finished up what little we had on that field and stopped quick for lunch. After that, I took the pickup to the next field east of Hisle and met Dean. He had finished putting the tire on the windrower and after I parked our pickup he brought me back to my tractor. Then, we moved over and started in on that field at about 1:45 or so. And from that time on we hayed...with minimal problem unti about 8:30ish or so. It started to get too dark and we dont' have much for lights so we headed in. But, I can't forget the best part. I got a round or two ahead of Merle and he told me (seriously) that I should grab the magnum out of the pick up and pop off a few prarie dogs. When the boss tells you to goof off on the job how can you resist. So, I may have shot a few p-dogs along the way. The tractor tire is hard to balance a .22 on, but I managed to get a few until I jammed an empty. Then, I was done hunting...sad day! Of course in the next round the were all out celebrating me jamming up the gun! We also saw the neighbors sorting off some cows along the fenceline...what a rodeo. You can't believe the things you see if you just sit in one place logn enough!

Dean got some oats and a hayfork moved and did chores. Congrats to him. Ross went until a bag plug fell out of the water pump this afternoon. I think he got quite a ways and we have a new one coming in the mail already. Last comment- today I saw a ginormous garder snake...apparently the west river version of a garder snake is not as cute and friendly as the east river version! I'll take my harmless, small east river snakes...thanks!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." -Yogi Berra

No comments:

Post a Comment