Saturday, July 10, 2010

Service Please

For the most part today was pretty straight forward.

This morning I went down and did chores and then we spent an hour or so in the shed just doing some cleaning and organizing stuff for the field. At about eight, Merle, and Dean, and I abandoned ship to have a chance to change and go into town. I'm not sure what Dean did, for sure but I know Merle and I had planned on going to the dedication for Connor at the 4-H rodeo.

I cleaned up and did a few things around the house while Merle was "waking the girls up" and getting ready to go. I took his four door pickup to town so that Adrienne could stay in town after the dedication and see some friends and get some errands done. I got there just a little before it started. They had a goal to get as many people and horses in the arena as possible and they did pretty good. They led them all in and Sue and another friend of the family each had one of Connors horses ponied with them. They read his obituary, played a cowboy dedication song, and read a poem that a local wrote for the family. It was really nicely done and I think it meant a lot to everyone there. Then, when they brought the flags out they had his horse out there again with the Son's of the American Legion flag draped over the saddle because he was always willing to carry a flag. But, as soon as it was over- the festivities began. I was glad we came and saw the dedication and also got to see Ross and Marva, Brandy and her kids, Andrea and her baby Mylee, and Johnny. But, we turned around and went back home pretty quick. It was nice that they dedicated the rodeo to Connor and his family- Sue was competing and Mary Kay and Dave were helping run the show so I'm sure it really meant a lot.

When we got home, I stopped and packed my lunch and changed and then went off to the hayfield. It took me over an hour to service my tractor because it's not the one I usually run...but I got it done and took off. We hayed from about noon until 5:30 when I took off with Adrienne (she had to run Merle and Pepsi otherwise he might just perish) and went home to do chores. Merle stayed out in the field another hour or so to finish some bottom ground that was too thick to rake. His goal was to get it done before the nasty black clouds ahead dropped rain..but they still haven't...that's not really a good thing because we could use some rain. But, on the plus side, if all went well he should have gotten that bottom hay all put up.

I didn't have any trouble with chores, and was able to just take a four wheeler home since we have pickups scattered all over right now. It got to be a long day because my radio antenna is broke off that tractor and all I can hear is Merle and I talking (sometimes)...so the extra yacking was not there to entertain me today! lol I lived just fine.

But, I'm ready for bed. Ross cut some hay down this afternoon so that might be ready tomorrow but my guess is we will go fetch some stray bulls instead.

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment