Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slow Sundays...

Today was supposed to be kinda laid back..yet it's 11:30 and I'm still up- I can't seem to figure that out.

I got up this morning and went down and did chores. Shortly afterward, we all scattered and went home because the crop duster was coming to spray Warrior over the houses and corral yard to kill all the nasty grasshoppers. It's gotten so bad that the ground just moves underneather you and no leaf or flower can survive it. They actually ate Adrienne's garden down to about nothing! So anyway, you aren't supposed to be outside for a half our afterwards and he was gunna come at seven so we left and went home. I did some laundry and dishes before church and then took off towards town. I went to church and had coffee afterwards (of course that's a must). After talking to everyone for a while I took off for the grocery store and picked up a few things and then dropped a letter by the post office. I got about a mile out of town before I realized that I forgot the jelly Merle asked me to pick up for them...so I turned around and went and got it. If only he knew how seriously I took that jelly! lol! Eventually, I actually went home to find dead grasshoppers everywhere. Hooray!!! I don't care if they cover all the ground...as long as they're dead!

It seemed to kill most of them but there were still a few alive- nothing like before though. I'm guessing that those that are left will die eventually as well. We haven't noticed any cats or the dogs or anythnig sick yet so that's always a good sign. So, I unpacked groceries and then Merle called to say he's pick me up around one and we would go put up some hay. So, I did some bookwork and then took off for the field with him just after one. We hayed for a couple hours and found all sorts of treasure. Once in a while I run across things int he field but it seemed like every round I'd find a hung of metal or a salt trough or a pickup in the way. Merle made some comment today about that probably being the toughest windrower they make considering the logs...salt troughs...hills...etc, that is has eaten up. Today, I found a salt trough and a salt trough platform. I can about imagine what happened to the missing tire on the platform..lol. But, we went a few rounds and then called it a day. It was starting to spit outside anyway (never amounted to anythnig though).


We all parked (Ross too) and headed home. As we were shutting down we noticed fluid coming from the widnrower and sure enough, the O ring that was put in the other day has already busted out. Roger, the mechanic, is coming down tomrrrow to work on my tractor amoung other things so hopefully we can figure something out. We headed home and did chores- pretty much free of grasshoppers (live ones anyway). The bull in the corral accidentally got locked off water today- I'm sure he hates us even more now...oops. He was actually more interested in me than water anyway cuz lets face it I'm just that cool. ...right. I had to do a little prewashing of the milk trough since it got left out and sprayed on but I think it cleaned up ok- they drank the milk just as fast anyway!

But, after chores I headed home and have been working on stuff in the house and bookwork ever since. I was hoping to catch up on a tv show I used to watch on the internet but no such luck. Perhaps I will get there eventually. I have actually been doing a lot of prep work for the FFA Conference called New Century Farmer that I will be attending next week in Iowa. It's hard to leave here with so much work we are behind on, but I don't want to pass up a one time opportunity (and it's only 5 days) so I'm headed out next Sunday.

Side Note: Merle found the gate up at Techs swung wide open and hooked to the fence today- apparetnly someone wanted to let the cattle out...not looking forward for searching for half the herd tomorrow...

Until then, I'll keep you updated on our progress out here!

"The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment