Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oats for thought

Im falling asleep in the chair here so I'm gunna make this short and to the point.
After chores this morning we all went our own ways. Merle and Adrienne headed to
Rapid for a doctor appointment, Ross started windrowing draws, Dean did some odds and ends and I headed to the sale barn.

We spent just a little bit of time rounding up and loading three bulls that needed to be sold for vairious reasons. Dean and I saddled up and Merle grabbed a four wheeler. We went just ove rthe hill in the 80 and found the two bulls we needed there. We loaded them up front, then left the back for the wild bull that we have been feeding in the corral for a couple weeks. With Merle and I on foot and Dean on a horse, it took a bit to get him loaded but we finally got 'er done.

I grabbed my drivers license and took off for Phillip. I didn't have any problem getting there and figured out where to unload pretty easily by following the leader. They have a pull through gate, so it's really easy to unload there. I got rid of the boys and signed my papers and then sat down to watch them sell. After a while of sitting there this guy in front of me says "so you're gunna be changin a tire today?" I was like...um no? I don't think so? He went on to ask if I was pulling a red trailer because he thought he saw a bad flat on it that had been driven on for quite a while. Knowing myselft and my luck I thought I had better check but I was almost sure my tires were all up when I unloaded. I ran out and checked and thankfully it wasn't me- but the red trailer parked next to mine sure had a doozy on it!

As I was walking back in, sure enough the first bull sold. I managed to see the other two in full and then sat around for a bit to let them get the checks wrote. It was free meal day at the sale barn so I took them up on a little beef- yum! Then, collected the checks and headed out. Next stop, the welder in Phillip to get the trailer latch fixed.

When they were picking up square bales, it got hooked on a round bale and did a little damage, so I stopped by Konst welding and they got it fixed in no time. I ran into Roger (the mechanic) there and talked to him for a while too.

After they got it all fixed like new I headed for home. When I got back I stopped at the house to make a couple phone calls...that didn't turn out to well. As it turns out, last night when I tried to fill out my deer hunting app I had some trouble so I decided to wait and call the gfp today. I knew the apps were due today but usually thing like that are due mid day or in the afternoon. So, I give them a call. As it turns out- they were due by 8am...what a crock of crap! So, even though I had trouble it doesn't matter. I guess that's waht I get for waiting until the last minute. I was pretty mad at myself about it, but I can't do anything buy try to apply for a leftover now. O well- I guess if nothing else I can just come out and walk with them. I really don't like deer meat all that much anyway! This way I can get my east river guaranteed license too I guess... that' if I look on the bright side. Again, I'm not happy but that' life. The second call I made was in regards to a message from the internet provider back in Brookings. I ended up paying them a large sum of money because it wasn't being paid by the party responsible. So, that really brightened things up as well.

From that point I was hoping things could only go up but I'm not so sure they did. I met Dean as I headed down the driveway and he was haeded to go poison prairie dogs. I took on moving oats to the grain shed. This took a while as I had to scoop oats into the augar a couple times- but I finally got the wagon filled. But, the best part was that while I was doing this the wind came up really strong and started whipping on the big sliding shed doors. So, I turned on the light and closed them. ....but then I had to get out. This was interesting becasue I didn't really want to open the doors very far for fear the wind would take them off. To top that off it had created a vortex- making it hard to open the doors (esp from the inside where there are no handles.) But, I managed to get out of there and get the doors shut again. I did however, have to come back later to put the pickup back in when the wind had a short lull.

So, I spent the rest of the time moving oats, cleaning out oats and the floor of the shed and doing chores. When I cleaned some oats out of a freezer where this cat had raised her kittens it was pretty ridiculous. There was this kitten (they are pretty good sized now) there squaking at me and that incombination with the smell was enough to make the experience super enjoyable- haha! But I managed. The four wheeler also managed to die on us twice to day as well- gunna have to get that looked at.

I ended up turning in a alittle early and wimping out becasue my back got pretty sore. But, I did manage to get an apt with the chiropractor that comes to Martin once a week on Thrusdays. So, that should help.

Now, it's bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment